Duke Nukem3d came along in 1996, and like Doom before it was a first person shooter, but unlike Doom or the other games it spawned, Duke3d allowed you to interact much more with the environment than merely open doors, you could shoot pool, pee,break all kinds of stuff and even tip strippers. (games need more strippers if you ask me) The engine was light years ahead of the doom engine and although it wasn't truly a 3d engine like quake, you had a fully immersing environment with puzzles, and richly detailed environments. (quake seemed almost make for deathmatch style fighting, the single player mode comes across to me as almost an afterthought).
- 3d Realms The company website with the shareware versions of Dukes I & II, and Duke 3d with source code for those lonely friday nights.
- The 3d Realms yahoo store can be found Here.
- Xduke is a port of the source code to Win32, so Windows Xp users can play it without lugging out the old pentium I out of storage. http://www.gel.ulaval.ca/~klein/duke3d/
- The JonF port has OpenGl support so it looks great.
- The Duke 3d Cheats can be found here rather than list them all out to Duke3d
- Duke Nukem II cheats are:Press n + u + k for a random weapon plus everything you need to complete the current level. If that doesn't work, press d + u + k + m.
- Duke Nukem Waiting for Forever is a Fangame that is fun in its own right, kinda like Duke Nukem II on steroids.
Not too related, but I couldn't resist...A fun Soundboard